THE LIFE OF AN INTERCESSOR
Staying close to the Son gives us insight into the will of the Father. Jesus shows us how to live in accordance with God’s ways.
- The call to be an Intercessor, should not be taken lightly and should be carefully discerned by each participant. Periodically, members of the Prayer and Intercession Team should discern their commitment to the ministry.
- Intercessors need to be in good standing with the church, to be one accord with the teachings and leadership of the church.
- Characteristics of Intercessors may include: courage, boldness, perseverance, righteousness, familiarity with God’s word and the ability to keep confidences.
- Partaking in the Weekly Liturgy, making regular use of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, with time for individual personal prayer, Eucharistic Adoration, the reading of Scripture and the Rosary are also opportunities for people to grow in holiness as they fulfill their role of Intercessor.
- Intercessors should be open to the movement of the Holy Spirit and find opportunities to hear from the Lord in silence.
- Intercession required discipline. Like exercise, it must be regular. Intercede by decision, not just inspiration.
- Due to the nature of the role, Intercessors should protect themselves and their family members with the ‘armor of God.’ (Eph 6:10-18) The tempter will come when it is least expected and try to create division and distrust between family members. A regular prayer life, asking for repentance from God, forgiving those who have harmed us and renouncing lies will assist members to fulfill their role with peace and wisdom.
LINKS TO RESOURCES