What cemeteries are managed by CFCS in the Archdiocese of Detroit?

The following cemeteries are managed by CFCS:

Holy Sepulchre

Located in Southfield, Holy Sepulchre Cemetery is our largest cemetery and dates its beginning to 1928. It consists of approximately 350 acres of forested grounds that include Lake Geneserath.

Our Lady of Hope

Our Lady of Hope Cemetery is in Brownstown Township and was founded in 1962 by Rev. Robert F. Allen, then-director of Catholic Cemeteries for the Archdiocese of Detroit. It comprises 320 acres, of which 60 acres have been developed for burial purposes. It was blessed and dedicated on September 16, 1962 by Archbishop (later Cardinal) John Francis Dearden. The first interment took place on November 5, 1962, and since that date over 26,400 people have found their rest here.

Holy Cross

Holy Cross Cemetery was organized about the year 1850 in what was then Springwells Township, a suburb of the City of Detroit. Over the years, property was added to the original area, which is now known as Section B. The current property is at 40 acres and Springwells Township is now part of Southwest Detroit.

St. Joseph

St. Joseph Cemetery in Monroe has been in continuous operation since about 1801, originally to service the Catholic German, French, Italian and Irish settlers in the area. For many years it was administered by the three, later four, Catholic parishes of Monroe (St. John the Baptist, St. Michael the Archangel, St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception and later St. Joseph Churches). It is steeped in the early history of the region and many revered pioneers rest here.

Mt. Carmel

Mt. Carmel Cemetery is in Wyandotte and has been in operation since 1865. This cemetery often has been confused as having been administered by Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish in Wyandotte, which was not established until 1899. The cemetery was originally composed of 10 acres and held over 8,000 interments. In November 2004, an additional one acre was added to the cemetery.

Mt. Hope

Mt. Hope Catholic Cemetery is in Pontiac and was established in 1864. It serves as the burial site for Pontiac’s pioneers, several Civil War veterans, founders of area establishments, law enforcement officials and other notable individuals.