1. Knowledge Base
  2. Becoming Catholic

What if I am married outside the Church, or divorced and remarried?

If you were married civilly and neither spouse was ever previously married, a marriage convalidation would take place. This is not a blessing of an existing marriage, but a marriage ritual for those who are in a civil union, to make it a sacramental union.

If you were divorced and remarried, the initial marriage would need to be examined to determine what form of annulment is needed for the most recent civil union to receive a marriage convalidation.

Want to learn more?

Contact us at faithformation@aod.org or 313-596-7312.