The plan called for a minimum of 70 percent of funds received to be returned to the parishes to fulfill parish-identified priorities, with the remaining 30 percent allocated to three archdiocesan-wide priorities and for campaign expenses. Through December 31, 2017, distributions for archdiocesan priorities include:
$4,400,000 has been invested in the Archdiocese of Detroit Endowment Foundation to augment tuition assistance to qualifying families with children in K-12 Catholic schools in southeast Michigan. Since its inception in 1994 this endowment has provided nearly $50 million in K-12 tuition assistance in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
$2,500,000 has been designated for priestly formation as well as clergy and lay leadership development. These funds are invested in the Archdiocese of Detroit Loan Deposit Program to provide assistance for the continuing education of priests; and the Archdiocese of Detroit Endowment Foundation for tuition assistance to seminarians and qualifying lay men and women preparing for Church ministry.
$1,450,000 has been designated to strengthen Catholic ministries in Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park. These funds have been placed in an endowment with the Catholic Foundation of Michigan. Beginning in the fall of 2018, grants will be awarded to Catholic parishes and schools and other Catholic organizations in the inner city. The endowment provides support for evangelization, Catholic education and faith formation, service and outreach, and building vibrant Catholic communities. Parishes, schools and other Catholic organizations may contact the Catholic Foundation of Michigan for a grant application.
As pledges to Changing Lives Together are paid, funds are proportionally distributed – 70 percent to the parish, 30 percent to the Archdiocese. When Changing Lives Together pledges are fulfilled above the parish goal, the parish retains 100 percent of the funds received. If parish campaigns fall short of their goal, funds potentially available for parish priorities and those for the archbishop’s initiatives are reduced. When parishes exceed their goal, the three archdiocesan-wide priorities do not receive additional funds; rather, those funds are applied to parish initiatives.