Canon 463,certain individuals are to be called to a diocesan synod as members and are obliged to participate in the synod. To fulfill these obligations, Archbishop Vigneron extended invitations to be a member of Synod 16 to:
- Auxiliary bishops, vicars general, episcopal vicars, judicial vicar, Presbyterial (priest) Council members, rectors of Sacred Heart Major Seminary and SS. Cyril and Methodius Seminary, and the 16 vicars.
- Lay members from parishes throughout the archdiocese.
- One priest from each of the 16 vicariates, elected by their brother priests.
- Superiors from religious institutes and societies of apostolic life who have a house in the archdiocese and have actively participated in the annual dialogue with Archbishop Vigneron. The Superior or his/her delegate could accept the invitation to be a member of Synod 16
- The 16 vicariate representative members of the Archdiocesan Pastoral Council.
- Members of the Lay Ecclesial Minister (LEM) Committee from each of the four regions of the archdiocese.
- Three permanent deacons from each of the four regions of the archdiocese were elected by their brother deacons for a total of 12
- People involved with Catholic schools, youth and young adult ministries, various lay movements, special communities and distinct ministries.
Specific people were invited to serve as expert advisors and facilitators; these were non-voting attendees serving a passive role at Synod 16.